Wednesday, April 23, 2014

Almost Clean Eating Taco Salads

This recipe might not be 100% clean eating, but it's still pretty close, and my kids actually ate it!
Here are the two most important things that you need:

Taco shell molds (As Seen on TV)
I found these molds at Walgreens of all places, and they have changed the way I think of taco salads. I love the crunchiness it adds when you bake up your tortillas.

and Brooks Chili and Beans

The rest of the ingredients are still pretty basic when it comes to tacos: whole wheat tortillas, lean ground beef, turkey, or chicken, chili powder, cumin, garlic powder, salt, pepper, lettuce, tomato, and guacamole - avocado, minced garlic, and lime juice.

I started by preheating my oven and followed the directions for crisping up my tortillas. Then I continued by browning up the ground meat in a large pan and draining any fat, which there really wasn't any in mine. Then to the pan, I added the entire can of Brooks Chili and Beans, 1 tablespoon of chili powder, 1/2 tablespoon both of cumin and garlic powder, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and 1/2 teaspoon black pepper. I let this simmer for about 10 minutes on low or until it thickened up a little bit. While that was simmering, I prepared the toppings - chopping the lettuce and tomatoes, and making the
guacamole. My guacamole recipe has three ingredients: 1 avocado, 1 garlic clove, minced, and the
juice of half of a lime. I mash up the avocado in a bowl using a fork, stir in the garlic and lime juice, and that's it!

Here are a few pictures of my finished taco salad. It was delicious!
 





Almost Clean Eating Taco Salad
6 whole wheat tortillas (approx. 130 calories each)
1 pound lean ground beef
1-15.5 ounce can Brooks Chili and Beans
1 tablespoon chili powder
1/2 tablespoon cumin
1/2 tablespoon garlic powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 head of romaine lettuce, chopped
1 medium tomato, diced
1 avocado
1 clove garlic, minced
Juice of 1/2 of a lemon

Makes 6 servings

No comments:

Post a Comment