Sunday, April 13, 2014

Slow Cooker Chicken and Vegetable Soup

About every week or so I make homemade soup for my husband's lunch. This week's soup is chicken vegetable soup. I love that I was able to make the whole thing in my slow cooker. I happened to have just made a whole chicken for company the night before, so I used the remaining bones with some of the meat left on it to make the broth and soup. I hope you enjoy it as much as I know he will!

Ingredients:
1 whole chicken with some meat remaining for flavor, or about 4-5 left over chicken bone pieces
1-2 cups leftover chicken, diced
2 carrots, diced
2-3 garlic cloves, minced
1 medium onion, chopped
1 stalk celery, chopped
14 1/2 ounce can or jar of stewed tomatoes
(I had about a 14-15 ounce jar of tomatoes I canned this summer)
2 cups of any frozen vegetables of your choice: mixed vegetables, green beans, corn, peas
1 teaspoon parsley
1 teaspoon sage
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon black pepper

The day before making the soup:
1. Put leftover whole chicken or meaty bone pieces in slow cooker.
2. Sprinkle with about 1/2 teaspoon of salt.
3. Cover with water and set on low for 8-10 hours.
4. Remove chicken bones.
5. Let the broth cool down to room temperature and store in the refrigerator.

The next day:
1. Skim the fat from the top of the broth.
2. Place the broth, chicken, vegetables, and seasonings in the slow cooker.
3. Cover it and cook on low for 8 hours.
4. Enjoy!

Optional: add 1-2 cups small cut pasta the last hour of cooking

No comments:

Post a Comment